CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 5, 2008

6 Weeks to Kona!

My local YMCA is sponsoring and event called "6 Weeks to Kona" Kona is the world series of Ironman Triathlons. It will be held this October in Hawaii. My friend Jannelle was the first one to tell me about it, and I was immediately excited about it. What it is, is you have 6 weeks to complete what they will be doing at the actual event. It sounded like a good challenge.

In total I will have to:
*Swim 2.4 miles (80 laps in the pool, 1 lap is back and forth across the pool)
*Bike 110 miles (It can be done on a stationary bike.)
*Run/Walk 26.2 Miles (I am going to try to do most this at nights when I am at the High School track when Garrett is at football practice and Aspen at cheer practice)

It is all in fun, and really I just thought it would be a great way to get back into my workout routine. (Plus I will get a cool T shirt when I complete it!)

I got sick in June. I didn't post about it, but I had Facial Cellulitis it was a MRSA infection. It was really bad and I ended up needing IV antibiotics every 12 hours to finally treat it. So that took quite some time to recover from. Then I was in Idaho for practically the whole month of July. Which by the way Aspen ended up with the same infection 3 times with while we were there. And once I returned from Idaho, I got the same infection again. This time I caught it a lot sooner, and had a much quicker recovery. So now for the last couple weeks I have been getting back into my old routines. And this challenge has helped encouraged me to get to the gym every day this week. (Starting Tuesday when the kids started school.)

So here are my totals for the week:
*Swimming: 23 laps (I don't think I ever swam before this. Now I love it. I will be keeping this up!)
*Biking: 27 miles
*Running/Walking: 3 Miles

I also have an added benefit to doing this now. This is the last 6 weeks of Ian's deployment, so the timing is perfect. But there is a chance he may be coming home a couple weeks early. (He is on the list as one of the Sailors flying home from Hawaii) YEAH! But I am not holding my breath until I know he is in the air. This is still the military we are talking about. Either way, I am actually trying to get this done in less than the 6 weeks, I just want to go as fast as I can. To make it more of a challenge.

Wish me luck, and hope I don't 'Break a Leg!'

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Good Luck, Kim!!! I wish I lived close to you so I could have some motivation for myself!
Your kids look so cute, 1st day of school. Enjoy, it goes so fast.
I can't believe Matt is in high school and Kelsi in middle school!!!

Nicole said...

Good luck that sounds like a fun way to get back in shape, I wish I had your motivation. I'm still trying to figure out when to fit in some exercise time. That is exciting Ian will be coming home soon :)

Scates Family said...

You can do it! Swimming is the best excersise ever. It is so much fun. Glad you are all on the up and up now.

ianwarner said...

You are the most amazing and beautiful woman. Thank you for the wife and mother you are. I am so proud of you and I can't wait to spoil you when i get home.